Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Soldier's Story

“Hey Mark, how you doing? Will you please do me a favor? Please clear out your quarters and for once please tell all your girls to stay clear off your room for at least a couple of days,” the voice over the phone said.

“No ways! I’m not doing that! And specifically, why will I be doing that,” asked Mark playfully to his older brother.

“Will you not take care of your brother while he’s with you? I’m coming to visit you for a couple of days, and my flights leaving right now. So, I’ll be with you in some hours, and after that we will continue this conversation,” the husky voice said decisively over the receiver and the click followed.

“What conversation. I hate these lectures…hope I never have to face this disaster,” Mark muttered irately to himself.

This conversation was the last which took place between the two brothers. All that came through on the news was the fact that the twin towers had crashed and America had been wounded, and directly at its heart.

The phone sang out impatiently. He shoved it to his ear, and after hearing the words on the other end, it dropped. It was like all hell had broken loose; like a part of his soul had been destroyed; and it had been because of him. Why had he thought that he didn’t want the conversation with Johnny?

“It’s all my mistake. It’s ‘cause of me that he’s gone! Why did he choose to come today in the first place?! Shit! What about mom and dad! Damn.” The words kept pouring out of his mouth. All of a sudden he broke down and tears rained down his cheek.

A year passed, and he hadn’t forgiven himself for the incident; he never would. A voice announced loudly, “Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together for Mark Thompson, the topper from our Electronics stream.”

The shower of claps welcomed him onto the stage. A young man aged 22; he looked to be a complete misfit to the results. Long hair haphazardly covering his face which already sported stylish tortoise shell glasses and an earring, the mouth continued chomping the chewing gum fervently.

He strode lightly onto the stage and the image became more vivid- his shirt out and his jacket untidy- he moved slowly and appeared to be in no hurry. He took up the mike with a grim look on his face, and his eyes portrayed his true emotions.

“Last year, I was taken apart by a huge loss. It tore me apart, but it also made me strive harder to win, to survive, to matter. And not only to myself, or my family, but to this nation and all of my fellow countrymen. I guess this would be entirely appalling that I have not agreed or accepted any of the campus placements but I would like to declare my decision right now. I dedicate this title to my brother, and I dedicate my life to save my country. Thank you very much.”
As he stepped down the podium, he was greeted with awkward stares and the interspersed clapping. He did not wait, nor did he glance at his parents as he left through the door, his head held high.

This news hit the tabloids and papers with full glory. As did his application. Welcomed by the Army, he soared through all of the necessary certifications with flying colors. All set to be assigned to a platoon, Mark confidently entered the last hurdle of his journey to join the army- the examination room. He was sure that he would be selected; there wasn’t a way in which he could fail. But his worst fears came true. The tortoise shell glasses which he had sported since the tender age of 10 were the culprits. He did not have perfect eyesight, and this would lead to him failing at his aim.

No. He couldn’t let it happen. In no condition. He had to avenge his brother’s death, and he had the responsibility towards his nation. He would not fail them. Roving around for avenues to fulfill his aspirations, his young mind wandered towards something he loved. Something he would always enjoy. And this time, he would use that interest for his personal success.

The next day an application knocked on the Chief Recruiting Officer’s desk. Barely readable, it announced the job application of a fine young man. Proclaiming an attractive degree in Electronics, it surprised the officer that this fine young man wanted to be enlisted in the Army. But it wasn’t his job to think about the reasons; all he had to do was to approve the candidates. And he did it; now he would make sure that his country would not lose this gem. The stamp thumped the envelope with “APPROVED” in bold letters.

Thus started the quest of ‘The Invincible Man- General Mark Thompson’.

6 comments: